Archive | Tips

Sunburst burst suring sunset at Horseshoe Bend in Page, Arizona. USA

Dealing with a boring sunset at Horseshoe Bend

The one thing that I love about the city of Page in Arizona is that both Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend are within close proximity to each other. This allows you to comfortably fit in a visit to both sights in one day. Horseshoe Bend is the classic shot that you will see of Arizona […]

Continue Reading 0
Lower Antelope Canyon in Page, Arizona.

Exploring Lower Antelope Canyon

I really was looking forward to photographing Lower Antelope Canyon; it was a place that was never going to deviate from my road trip schedule. The narrow slot canyons in Northern Arizona are something that I’ve never experienced anywhere in the world and the images of the area that previously caught my attention were best described […]

Continue Reading 2
IMPROVE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY

How to improve your photography without paying a cent

The journey of improving your photography skills can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. Many believe that in order to become a better photographer, a newer and more expensive camera is required which isn’t necessarily true. Unless if you can specify exactly why a particular camera will give you a clear advantage over your existing setup, then […]

Continue Reading 0
20140530-DSC_4426

Getting out of Auto – Understanding Shutter Priority Mode.

In my previous story, I spoke of how I used aperture priority mode about 99% of the time. That leaves 1% remaining in which I split between manual mode and shutter priority mode. That doesn’t mean that they are less important; my style of photography just lends itself to using aperture priority and saves me time. In the case of […]

Continue Reading 1
aperture

Getting out of Auto – Understanding Aperture Priority.

I talk to a lot of people who want to get out of shooting in Auto mode to gain more control over their settings, but don’t know how to do so. The main obstacle preventing them from doing so is confusion surrounding the function of each camera mode and also a fear of permanently stuffing up the camera settings. In […]

Continue Reading 1
sharp images low light

Tips for achieving sharp images in low light.

It’s true what they say about the best time to shoot being in the morning and late afternoon. If I’m out with the intention of taking landscape photos, I almost certainly take my tripod with me, because camera shake is the enemy of achieving sharp images. However, during the day, when I’m just wandering around the […]

Continue Reading 0
camera market

Five things to consider before buying a new camera.

A common question I get asked is, “Jimmy, I’m buying a new camera, which DSLR should I get to take better photos?” In all honesty, this is one of the most difficult questions that I can answer without knowing much about that person’s shooting style and goals. One way to look at it, is that photography is a mostly a […]

Continue Reading 0
IMG_1335

Five tips for better fireworks photography.

New Years Eve is just around the corner, and I don’t know anybody who doesn’t become swept up amongst the festivities, including the fireworks shows. It’s very likely that in your own town or city, there will be some form of fireworks celebration to welcome the New Year, and most people will want to take some photographs to preserve those memories. Fireworks […]

Continue Reading 0
PC310013

Five tips for taking better family holiday photos.

It’s that time of the year again around Christmas and New Year, when we all get together with loved ones, and some of us will want to take photos to immortalise that occasion on Facebook. More often than not, we only get one shot at it a year am I right? Otherwise it’ll be another 364 days for […]

Continue Reading 2